Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Self-portrait Fun!

So I mentioned in my last post that I took some self-portraits to update my website. I am having a heck of a time deciding, though. Here are the front runners:

#1- I really liked this one, but I chopped a little too much of the corner of my left eye off. Dang it- I hate to scrap this one!

~~~

#2- This one I thought worked well for a more serious look. What do you think? Would you hire me if you saw this picture?


~~~

#3- This I just LOVE, but I think my focus is a little off. That's too bad.


~~~
#4- I also really like the idea of a smiling picture of me- I just love my smile in this picture. It just SCREAMS happiness.
~~~
#5- But ultimately, I decided on this one. Just too many minor flaws with the others, unfortunately. What do you think? Did I make the right decision? You can check it out live at http://www.mandycarroll.com/ on my about page. I have to give a big thanks to Photoshop for prettifying me a bit (gosh I love the zit blasting, wrinkle smoothing capabilities of PS!)

So, now that I have exposed to my family and friends what a weirdo I am (although most of you already knew that!) I have to say how much fun I had doing this. Self-portraits are fun- especially the weird one! I have to tell a little story of the first time I attempted a self-portrait. When we first moved out to Virginia, we borrowed a friends digital point & shoot. It was my first experience with digital and I took SOOO many pictures with it! One day Jace was getting tired of me taking pictures of him, so for fun I tried to take some of myself. Took some smiling ones, laughing ones, sexy-pouty ones, all in seriousness. Then I downloaded them into photoshop to play with them and I thought they looked pretty good! But when Tim got home, he saw them on the computer and started LAUGHING! Ouch! I was heartbroken. I think I cried- I felt so stupid! He thought it was a joke and he felt really bad afterwards. He said just the image of me sitting ALONE on our front porch by myself making faces at the camera was funny to him. Days later, after I forgave him, I had to admit that it would look pretty ridiculous to see me taking pictures of myself. I guess that is part of what makes these pics so funny to me!
I am way behind on posting- I need to catch up before we head on our vacation to the outer banks (WOOHOO! 8 more days!) Also, for those of you that have heard my what-camera-should-I-get saga, I am still not sure what to do and it is driving me MAD!!! I am seriously TORN about what to do! I would be so sad to part with Nikon- it just fits me so well! But the other day I was trying to take some pics of Ethan and had my ISO on 1000, they were too noisy even on my LCD, so I turned my ISO down to 400 and my shutters had to drop below 100. That makes it pretty tough to get a sharp shot of a bobbley-headed baby! Argh! But I need a backup ASAP- busy season is coming up and I am booking lots of session for the fall and I hate to rely on just one camera. I hate being indecisive! Well, I will let you know what I do!
Hope you enjoyed this! Til next time!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Mandy, the portrait you chose is gorgeous. I wish I looked that good (and you don't need photoshop to look gorgeous, by the way!), but it just doesn't happen.
I can see how hard a decision it would have been though. Those others must have been really close in the running. I would have been torn between them too. :)
You need to give me tips on self-portrait taking. I still can't do it and have yet to ever get a decent one. You seriously do a beautiful job.