Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sweet Little Devil




Tonight we were just hanging out on the couch, enjoying our lazy Sunday evening when I noticed some really odd behavior from Ethan, or my 'sweet little devil' as I have been referring to him lately (sometimes without the word 'sweet' attached to the front, if I am really being honest). Ethan was running around and playing in the kitchen (one of his favorite pastimes- which once resulted in an incident with a steak knife which I will not go into frightful detail about other than to say this: our what-we-thought-were-well-hidden sharp knives have now be re hidden.) Anyways, I digress. So tonight I noticed a strange noise from the kitchen- it was very quiet and I couldn't put my finger on what it was (and I was too lazy stand up and take the five steps into my kitchen to find out- hey, our couch is very low to the ground!) When I called for Ethan, he came running around the corner and sat in the middle of our living room and began to suck on his toes. "Hmmm," I thought, "Isn't he way past the toe sucking phase?" Then he began to lick the bottom of his feet. Strange. Then he ran back into the kitchen(at which time the odd noise from the pantry returns) then came back into the living room and began sucking and licking his feet again. By this point I was really suspicious- what on earth was he doing? That is when I caught the smell- a strange, STRONG garlicky odor. THAT got me off the couch to go investigate the mystery afoot in the pantry. And there, to my horror, was a large bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch powder spilled ALL OVER OUR PANTRY FLOOR!!! I have to give props to Ethan, though- he LOVES ranch dressing and I am amazed at how quickly he thought of stepping in the powder and then licking his feet- smart kid!

So hopefully you can forgive me for calling my own child a devil. A sometimes very sweet devil- who occasionally tastes like ranch dressing.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, that's pretty inventive. I love the photo and the story cracks me up. He's one smart, clever little dude. And yeah, I call my kids my "little turkeys" as well as "punks". I mean it lovingly but it also describes their behavior much of the time.

Katie said...

Chris and I had a great laugh over this one. Yummy little toes!!!