Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Farewell...



Below: "What's that?" LOL

Ethan looking out at Jace's bike, saying: "In a few short months, that bike will be MINE!"

Measuring cups- his favorite toy! We are thinking of getting him a set for Christmas...







I am dedicating this post to two things. First, to my sweet little Ethan who, at 11 months, is on the verge of walking. Sigh... I am so sad. I can't believe he is already 11 months. Tim has been rooting for Ethan to start walking for the last few months (he started crawling just before 7 months, so we thought he might walk early), but me- well part of me wishes he could just crawl forever! I just LOVE the stage he is at right now. The crawling around-sitting-smiling-toe sucking stage is probably one of my favorite ages. And to be honest, I am a little terrified of when this boy starts walking. They get so busy once they start walking and I am not looking forward to telling Ethan to stop climbing on top of the refrigerator. But most of all part of me just does not want him to grow up! It is so sad how fast time flies! I can just see myself in 18 years watching Ethan graduate from high school and looking back to this time with vivid detail wondering how on earth time passed so quickly! So, so sad! Part of me (a very small part of me!) wishes I could just have babies forever... So,(raise glass) to cute little Ethan, the adorable baby (soon to be terror!)!

I also want to dedicate this post to another baby of mine (here we go again... roll eyes)- my trusty little D70s. These very well may be among the last photos I take with it. Just a few hours after I took these shots, my 'new' baby arrived on my doorstep. And after my first 'official' shoot with the D300 yesterday, little D70s is officially the backup/take to the beach/toy for Tim and Jace camera. I just have to sing the praises of Nikon and the D300 one more time! I totally ROCKED my session yesterday with it! (check the business blog to see some shots from it soon.) My main hope for the D300 was better high ISO performance (which the verdict is still out on), but the 51 focus points alone make this camera TOTALLY worth its cost! I have always been such a focus recomposer and since I generally shoot pretty wide open, my focus sometimes gets lost when I recompose. But these focus points are so precise and easy to navigate that I will never have to recompose again and can still get great composition in my camera! Especially for newborns, this is HUGE!! Seriously, I hope I don't sound conceited, but I always hear other photogs talking about those occasional sessions where everything just works out and they leave feeling like they nailed it and I totally felt this way after my session yesterday! And this is honestly the FIRST time I have felt like this(at least to this extent!)- usually I leave my shoots somewhat disappointed in myself (my expectations of myself are always WAY too high!) It was so refreshing to feel this way- it totally made me realize how much I love my job and gave me so much motivation to push myself even further (creatively and business wise) this next year! And I really feel like most of that is the camera- my creativity is no longer limited by my equipment! SO glad I upgraded!!!

So, goodbye my dear D70s! I am sorry for all my complaints about your noisy photos, poor white balance and tiny LCD screen, but we have shared some great memories together! You really served me well- you were my first 'baby'. I am sorry I had to move on, but I will always hold a special place for you in my heart!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

These are beautiful! My gosh he's getting so big and he's just such a cutie. I'm utterly in love with that tippy toe foot shot.
And so bittersweet about your camera. I get really attached to inanimate objects so I can only imagine how weird it's going to be for me to stop using mine when I upgrade. I always used to convince myself (when I was little) that my stuffed animals and dolls had feelings and would get upset when I didn't play with them as much. I've grown so used to my camera and so attached to it, I can almost see myself thinking the same thing about it. (I know, I'm a nut!)
Still your last session rocked with your new camera. Really, those are incredible photos!

Keiauni said...

Right back at ya! I see a TON of WHITEHOUSE in those babes... They are so cute. I have a pic of angie and I when we were babies, and Ethan looks a ton like her!

You are a photo genious! When you are out in Tooele next time, I am going to have to book a sitting for my fam!

PS... you have my dream camera right now. I am still trying to justify it. LUCKY!

Katie said...

Mandy, if there is anyone who deserves an awesome camera, it is you! I know how you feel a little. I haven't touched my classic film slr since my digital one arrived. It has half a roll of film in it and I think I may just develop it as is instead of bothering to take the whole roll. I love my new camera (even if it isn't a D300) :).