Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Our Nations Capital

Easter weekend, our family headed up to DC to see some sites. This was our third trip to DC since we have lived here and we STILL have a million things left to see. There are so many great attractions there, and with two young kids we MUST stop at the Air and Space Museum and the Museum of Natural History EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. We don't mind, though. I am just as much a sucker for gems and dinosaur bones and Tim for planes and rockets as Jace.


First stop, The Museum of Natural History. I was shocked that Jace actually held this giant grasshopper- he is usually afraid of this kind of thing. Though he does have ambitions to be a 'bug guy' (among many other things) when he grows up, so maybe he is just preparing himself for a future occupation. I hear it is a tuff industry...

This is the Hope Diamond- the largest blue diamond in existence. It was very big and very beautiful. It is crazy that in person I thought it looked blue, on this picture it looks green, but they say when it is not so strongly lit, it is actually ruby red. It is on my wish list for next Christmas. I wonder if it would change colors to match my outfit? Although, being worth nearly 1/4 of a billion dollars, it might be a few Christmases before I find this bad boy in my stocking.
We stopped for lunch on the lawn. We actually went to see if we could climb the monument, but apparently it is virtually impossible to get tickets. So we had to settle for some pictures at a distance. I love this first one- that kite totally makes the shot!
The boys, posing for mommy. I think they are both chewing on rocks, actually, a suitable past-time for all ages amongst boys. Come to think of it, Tim may have been chewing on rocks as well...
After lunch, we headed to the Art Museum. I absolutely love this Rembrandt painting...
And Tim enjoying a bit of Monet...
Here is what Jace thought of the Art Museum...

Outside the museum. The trees were just starting to bud- I am a bit bummed that we missed the cherry blossoms by one week YET AGAIN, but it was still beautiful. Maybe next year we will be on time...
Tim and Jace waiting in line to go through the first commercial airplane.
Who needs amusement parks?
And last, but not least, another one of Jace's dreams: being an astronaut. We are a little more enthusiastic about this potential occupation than the 'bug guy'. No offense, Mr. Orkin. If only astronaut suits had impressive wing spans like Buzz Lightyear, I have no doubt that Jace would forever be determined to become one!And that concludes our exciting trip to our nation's capital. I was hoping to round it out with pictures of our stop at Sonic in Fredricksburg on the way home(which i was really looking forward to), but unfortunately the kids had just fallen asleep and we didn't want to stop and wake them. Now THAT was a tough decision- you have no idea how much I was craving a Lemon-berry slush and those jalapeno things... Mmmmmmm...

3 comments:

camie said...

hilarious mandy-
i don't know what is more fun...
looking at your pictures or reading about them.

Melanie said...

Fun photos, and yeah, I crave the lemon berry slush all the time. In fact, I'm craving one now. There aren't enough Sonics in the world.
And one of the things Eli wants to be is an astronaut too. I'll have to show him your photos. He'll LOVE these.
It looks so fun and interesting!

Katie said...

Awesome pictures, as always! I love DC! It looks like you guys had a great time, even if Jace didn't find the art museum fascinating (it is my favorite :) ). BTW, thank you so much for the baby gift! That was so sweet of you!