Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Out Of Hand

For the last several months, Jace has developed a pretty serious obsession with all things Superhero, and although I think it is pretty hilarious, I will admit that it does worry me a bit and wear me out a lot. It all began after he read a few books about Spiderman. Then suddenly his Spiderman shirt that he got as a hand-me-down became his prized possession. He would insist on wearing that shirt every day, but, the mean mom that I am, I refused to let him. On those days when it was either in the dirty hamper or freshly laundered and hung up in the closet, he would constantly take inventory and 'check' on his shirt. I would find him just staring into his closet, where he had pushed all the shirts hanging up in front of it to the far right so he could see his beloved shirt. I am sure he was just dreaming of wearing it again.

A few weeks later he discovered the Batman (also from a library book... Hmmmmm...) And to make up for my cruelty over the spiderman shirt, I decided to make him a little homemade Batman costume using some old black material that I had laying around. Oh boy... as if he wasn't obsessed enough already! Well now this is what he runs around in all day- everyday. The other day I found him out on our back porch just like you see him below- yelling at the top of his lungs: "I.....AM.....BATMAN!!!!! " I thought it was hilarious, but I am sure some of our neighbors did not! I love watching his imagination at work- it is so fun! But after having a conversation about Batman and Spiderman not being real (which he was in tears over, because he wanted to be a REAL superhero), I am wondering if it is possible for a kids imagination to get out of hand? Am I crazy to wonder that? I am all for encouraging kids to develop their imaginations, but have just been thinking about this lately. I am probably just a worried because his tendency to obsess over things so much reminds me of myself and my own tendency to obsess (which can be both good and bad, I think). Anyways, here is my little Caped Crusader in action. He definitely makes a cute Batman!
"I....AM.....BATMAN!!!!"



"Is that the Joker I hear?"
His wall climbing skills

I think this picture illustrates the extent of the obsession: This is an empty can of hot cocoa that had a spot of chocolate stuck to the bottom. Jace dropped something in it and it made these funny eye markings. Now Jace is convinced that that is Spiderman's face and he refuses to let me throw this thing away. I have tried to put it by the garbage a few times, but Jace rescues it every time. Silly kid...
By the way, I got lots of comments from people about our date night post, so here is an update. Last night was my turn and we did Karaoke in our office. It was a BLAST!!! We even took some video footage of our solos and a duet we did together- it has got to be the funniest thing I have ever seen. I was thinking about posting it up here to give everyone a good laugh, but I am not sure I am ready to put myself that far out there. You all would never look at us the same... it really reveals what total GOOFBALLS we are! Maybe I will get up the nerve after I come to terms with my singing voice and the fact that I will never be an American Idol contender... So sad...
Take care everyone!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Awww Mandy, these are so cute! And Eli is the same way. Completely obsessed. I've had to remind him over and over again that superheros are just pretend but he still thinks he's going to grow up to be a Ninja Turtle.
I LOVE that costume. Awesome job on it and Eli would start begging for one if he saw it. So cute!