Pages

Friday, September 7, 2007

Building an arsenal...




*disclaimer- this post may bore the heck out of anyone not interested in photography equipment!
With that out of the way, I am excited to introduce the soon-to-be newest member of Mandy Carroll Photography- the AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens! Wooohooo- I am excited about this one!
As many of you know, I have been agonizing over getting a new camera. I originally wanted to upgrade and get a backup camera before our trip to the beach and thought I had decided on sticking with Nikon and getting a D200. But thanks to some last minute advice (thank you Jaron Bushman!) to HOLD off on getting my new camera (and thanks to B&H for not having the d200 in stock!), I waited. And I am so glad that I did! I got back from vacation to hear that Nikon announced their new D3 and D300! I am so flipping excited! Check out this link to see the new D3 in action (just listen to the first few seconds, as it is in spanish or italian or something):
Sounds like a friggin shotgun- I seriously started drooling when I saw that! It gives me the shivers and makes me choke up- seriously! I am so excited- though I doubt the $5000+ D3 will be in my budget (maybe next year?). But I am counting on the D300 being the camera for me this fall- it is set to come out in November so I have to wait a bit longer (hold on, little D70, hold on for me a little longer!)
But since I have been dying to burn some of this money I have saved up for equipment upgrade, I figured I would add another Prime lens to my line up. I can see myself turning into a total gear junkie- I seriously have been carying my B&H catalog(which I refer to as my Photography Bible) around everywhere I go. I am actually growing attached to it- I look at it just for fun (does that strike anyone else as being a little sad?)! Tim has to put his foot down when I try to bring it to bed with me (okay, I am totally kidding on that one!). Anyways, I like to think that once I have the new camera, the 60mm 2.8 Macro, and the 17-55 f2.8 lens, I will be satisfied. But somehow I doubt it (because there is also the 135 f2, the 24-70...)! Good thing I have a hard time spending money or I would be in real trouble!
I just ordered the 85 from b&h so I will have my eyes glued out the window for Mr. UPS all week next week! Look for some awesome, creamy-bokeh shots to come! I can't wait!
*If you made it that far, congratulations! I am sure it was torture for you!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Love this lens! And I totally understand about the b&H catalog. I'm the same way. It goes EVERYWHERE. Mine is so marked up with notes, my wish lists, my hopes, dreams, goals. . .it's my journal. Okay, not quite that bad, but almost.
It's my preferred reading material and even though I can just about recite the prices of all the Canon lenses, it's still not enough. I'm working on memorizing the software I now want. :)
Congrats. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do. Meanwhile, I need to whip out mine and get some nice shots while the sun is still out. I look forward to seeing what you do!

mandy carroll said...

Ha Mel, I knew you would understand!