Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Volcanic Eruption














'Earlier today, we received stunning reports of a volcanic eruption at the Lake Monticello main park.
The eruption occurred at approximately 12:15 pm, while innocent children and families were enjoying an active morning at the playground. Speaking of the tragedy, one witness stated "It was shocking- never have I seen anything like this! I thought my children and I were safe from such horrific things here at the park- I am truly terrified!" Fortunately, as it was near lunchtime, many of the families had vacated the premises and were safe from the tragedy. Although the eruption lasted less than 15 minutes, authorities say it has left many feeling frightened, frustrated and hopeless. It is certain that many families will think twice before visiting the park again.'
- Art Van Delay, Lake Monticello Sun Times
Yes, I know he looks cute up there in his stylish clothes, but this account by Art is a true story! Today we were at the park with Amy and Addison, and Jace threw a tantrum like I have never seen before! Seriously, it was a NIGHTMARE (Amy will attest!). I really was shocked- Jace has thrown tantrums before, but never completely lost it like this. I am not even sure what caused it- I am sure more likely it was that he was tired (or maybe the DumDum I gave him shortly before- perhaps I should start bribing him with sugar-free treats?) Anyways, Addison and Jace were heading over to the swings, and apparently Jace wanted the swing on the right, but Addison got there first, so Jace started SCREAMING- seriously SCREAMING like I have never heard! He was flailing his arms, punching his fists into the ground, occasionally flopping on the ground while he screamed "That swing is MINE!!!!!! I want THAT swing! Addison is NOT my friend anymore!" I was seriously in shock- I didn't know hot to handle it. Part of me was terrified- another part of me just wanting to SPANK his little bum as hard as I could! And I am sure if Amy wasn't there I would've completely lost it! Thankfully, it was pretty much only Amy and I there or I would've been even more horrified. It worries me though- I have thought this whole year "Gosh, 3 is hard! I hope 4 is better" but now I am not so sure! Jace just seems to get more defiant and independent everyday. Then my mind fast forwards to Ethan in another few years and I seriously start sweating and trembling in my shoes! I hope I survive these kids!
I always think it is so amazing how much love we have for our kids, but I am sure that this is exactly why! We need to love them this much so we can survive the moments like this! And thankfully, although he is hard to handle sometimes, he also has moments where he can be truly so so sweet and so fun! It was funny, after he threw his fit, he was having a hard time calming down, so he said "I can't stop crying! I ate too many Shmo's!" He was referring to last Friday night- we made a fire outside and made Smores, then he had a hard time falling asleep (too much sugar too late!). He kept saying he couldn't keep his eyes closed. So I thought it was funny he made that connection today- silly kid!
Tim and I recently read a parenting book called "Screamfree Parenting'' by Hal Edward Runkel. I highly recommend it- it is all about how to keep your cool with your kids, which in turn teaches them how to deal with conflict and helps you build better relationships with them. The main idea of the book is to focus more on yourself and how you choose to react to tough situations (like my situation today at the park, which I am sure you can all relate to in some way (or will be able to soon!)). I know it is a simple concept, but it is SO HARD to not react in situations like this or even much smaller situations! The author refers to this as 'picking up the gauntlets' our kids throw at us. If Gauntlet Picking-Up was an Olympic sport, I would have a million gold medals! I feel like I am so uptight and react to things Jace does (or does not do) without even thinking about it much of the time. Gosh, parenting is hard work! Anyways, read the book! I was a little hesitant to read it at first (worried it would just point out how much I am FAILING as a parent) but the author goes about it all in a very gentle and humorous way.
And with that, I will leave you with some pics. I took these of Jace yesterday- don't you love the outfit I put together (thanks April for 90% of that outfit!)? So stylin'! I want to get some layer outfit pics up on my business blog to point my clients in this direction- especially for older kids (which I don't get a lot of yet!) But I love this look- very commercial looking. And I am in LOVE with that first shot of Jace- such a handsome boy!
I took some more in that same outfit this morning, so if you see some more pics of Jace in that outfit, I apologize! Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

camie said...

yikes! i'm a little worried for myself. i don't know if it was because it was so late and i was tired, but i was seriously concerned that there was a volcanic eruption in virginia. wow, i know. and even more embarrassing, i looked at cnn.com to find more information. to my defense, i only read the beginning of your blog, but still. come on.
i'm sure you do beautifully with jace. i on the other hand have little patience and am super worried for joel starts giving me trouble. everything he does now is so cute, but i know it will be just around the corner. i might have to read your book.

Mel said...

Mandy, you crack me up! I loved the beginning of your post. Looking at those photos, I just knew what had happened at the playground. Maybe it's because we see those things happen so often too.
I'm seriously going to have to read the book because we had a bedtime melt down the other night. . .probably the worst melt down in the history of my kids' melt downs and yeah, I didn't handle it too great after the seventh time Eli, in all his hysterics, got out of bed.
By the way, cute outfit! You always have perfect taste!

mandy carroll said...

Camie- that is hilarious about checking CNN! I hope I didn't cause you too much distress! Don't worry- we are all safe!
And don't worry too much about the upcoming stages for Joel- maybe he will be the first child in history to never throw a tantrum! If not, I am sure you and Nate will survive just fine! Just be thankful he is such a cute kid!

Thanks Mel- it is so good to hear that my kids aren't the only ones that melt down on a regular basis!