Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Silhouette





I took these of Jace and Ethan a few weeks ago, but just got around to editing them and thought they were sweet, even though they didn't turn out completely how I envisioned. I love the lighting that comes in from our sliding glass door and how it just shines off of our wood floor.
Well, ever since I have gotten into photography, I am seriously UNABLE to just snap a shot without setting it up meticulously first. It is a bit ridiculous, actually, and sometimes it even drives me crazy (not to mention Tim and my poor, picked on kids!). So let me just tell you how my mind worked in creating this shot so you can see how crazy I am...
First, I saw the light there and the image of Jace and Ethan in a fond embrace silhouetted against the window popped into my head. So, with a rush of excitement, I completely moved our dining room table and chairs to a different room so I could get way back to the edge of the floor and capture their reflection in our shiny floor. Then I saw the dried up macaroni and cheese from yesterdays lunch along with some other unknown crumbs all over under the table, so of course I then had to sweep and spot mop. Then I noticed the floor vent up against the window and for heaven sake, I couldn't have that ruin the shot, so I got our bathroom rug and placed it over the vent (taking care to center it, of course). Then I had to arrange the curtains so they parted gently (and symmetrically) with that nice curved slope, which was hard because they didn't want to stay. Then got the camera and metered the shot. Phew!
Now the hard part- the kids. I don't know what it is with me, but I almost ALWAYS prefer to have Jace and Ethan shirtless in pictures. So, I stripped Ethan down to a diaper and sat him on the rug. Took Jace's shirt off and asked him to sit down by Ethan because "we are going to take the coolest picture and it will be SO fun and when we are all done you can have a cookie!" (works every time!) Then went back to my spot, and shot away (while occasionally saying "don't touch the curtain, Jace... Jace, give Ethan a kiss... no not like that, on the top of his head... Here, let me show you... Jace, PLEASE don't touch the curtain!... Ethan, don't such on your toes[stupid, i know, as he can't understand me]...Jace, kiss him again... again, a little slower... Careful, you are hurting him...")
Exhausting, I know! And all for just a few shots! But before you all think I abuse my children with my relentless picture taking tactics, just look at that first shot- isn't it cute? Of course it isn't quite what I envisioned and there are some imperfections (the bar running down the center, the curtains aren't 'perfectly' symmetrical, and Ethan is a little too hunched over), but I love it anyway! Definitely wouldn't have turned out as well without all that work! I just hope Jace and Ethan don't start having nightmares of me coming after them with my camera!
Hope you enjoyed! Look for some more soon as my lens arrives today- WOOHOOOOO!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I love these, Mandy! They're great, and they were totally worth the work and someday, your kids will thank you. Years in the future, their spouses will see their incredible photos cataloging their entire lives and think, "Wow, why couldn't I have all those cool pictures of my childhood? I have nothing to show." And then your daughters-in-law will force you to constantly photograph your grandchildren whether you've got arthritis in your shutter finger or not.
Okay, I'm kidding about that last part, but these are totally gorgeous and it was worth it! Very inspiring and fun to look at. Great idea!

Unknown said...

Thanks Mel!

camie said...

i love this blog! my first though when i saw these pictures was "she did it again! how does she do that?" and then you let me know. i had to laugh... it looks so effortless, but of course it is not.
great story!